Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"A photograph of 1900 that was affecting then because of its subject would, today, be more likely to move us because it is a photograph taken in 1900. The particular qualities and intentions of photographs tend to be swallowed up in the generalized pathos of time past. Aesthetic distance seems built into the very experience of looking at photographs, if not right away, then certainly with the passage of time. Time eventually positions most photographs, even the most ameteurish, at the level of art."

1 comment:

Zenza said...

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I want to shoot photos that depict the world as it is today in 2009 (wow time has flown), but I struggle. I've grown up with this time period you know, I'm desensitized to it. A car from the 80s catches my attention more than your stereotypical new model minivan. People walking around in today's fashion all seem to blend together on the sidewalk, but that one persona wearing outdated clothes jumps right out.